A balanced diet is a must for proper growth and development of the body. Women must give special consideration to their diet at the time of menstruation. Deficiency of dietary iron is a common problem observed in women nowadays.
It is essential to eat iron rich foods at that time because the body needs to produce more blood to deal with the excess bleeding during period. Iron is required to make hemoglobin which is an important component of blood and a deficiency of iron can cause anemia.
There are certain foodstuffs such as coffee and caffeinated drinks which must be avoided during monthly cramps as they reduce iron absorption in the body. Let’s check out 10 essential nutritional requirements for women during menstruation.
1) Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
2) Consume iron rich foods such as red meat, lentils, spinach, almonds and cereals daily.
3) Eat citrus fruits or vegetables before consumption of iron rich food.
4) Consume pulses, tofu, paneer and boiled eggs in lunch.
5) A glass of warm milk helps in reducing menstrual cramps.
6) Eat calcium rich foods such as leafy greens, nuts, soya, sesame seeds etc.
7) Foods rich in Vitamin B6 such as broccoli, tomatoes, corn etc. help in controlling mood swings.
8) Fruits rich in Vitamin C such as lemons, oranges and sweet lime are good for female reproductive health.
9) Eat whole grains, oatmeal, wheat and multi-grain chapattis every day.
10) Instead of unhealthy sugar cravings, opt for fruits like apples, pears, berries and melons.